February 25, 2010
Visit eHarmony Canada
The Ineffectiveness of eHarmony as a Dating Tool
I subscribed to eHarmony for a month and during this period I collected and analyzed the matches sent to me. First, I rate the profile quality from 1 to 3; 1 being 'very simple': descriptions are in single words, such as 'swimming', 'family', etc.; 2 being 'simple': descriptions are in single sentence, such as 'I like good food', 'honesty is very important to me', etc. 3 being 'complete': descriptions are in sentences and paragraphs that give me a better idea of what the person is.
• There are 53 matches delivered of which 13 are local (I live in a city of 3 million people, and I include matches who are 100 miles away as local), which equals to 24.5%.
• Average profile rating is 1.7, meaning that most profiles don't tell me much about the match. Only 5 profiles (<10%) have a rating of 3.
• 26 (or 50%) of the profiles have photos attached.
• 24 (or 45%) of the matches have viewed my profile, meaning that 55% of the matches are 'dead leads'.
• 6 (or 11%) of the matches have acted, either 'communicating' or 'rejecting' me.
• The 13 local profiles have an average rating of 1.5, which is even lower than the overall average of 1.7.
• 5 (or 38%) of the local matches have photos, again it is lower than the overall average.
• 3-4 (or 23%-30%) have viewed my profile (taking into consideration of the anonymous views), meaning that at least 70% of the matches are 'dead leads'.
• Only 1 (7%) have acted (rejected).
• For the local profiles, only 3-4 matches have viewed my profile, and consider that most are not even subscribers, the chance of getting a local match is very slim.
• Most profiles are so simple that they don't reveal the characters of the matches. It is worse than other dating site such as 'match.com' or 'lavalife'. It is questionable that eHarmony can use the overly simple profiles to generate the matches based on its proclaimed 29 dimensions. The idea that eHarmony can deliver more compatible matches is therefore false.
• eHarmony determines how many matches it will send you. I have no control over. This is again much more inferior than the other dating sites. In my case, I got only 3-4 real local matches (including non-subscribers) in one month's time and may be zero real match. Very disappointing indeed.
August 29, 2008
Visit eHarmony Canada
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!!
You know how they advertise that you can sign up and see your matches? Well, you can't communicate with them until you pay. Which is fair.
What is not fair, is that paying members get matched up with people who don't pay. For me the result has been that about 95% of my matches are non-payers. Which is a complete waste of my time because I can't communicate with these people!
I've requested that eharmony not match me with people I can't communicate with, but they rufuse to change their policy. It's like a vicious little bait and switch cycle. I think it's really, really unethical.
So don't, don't, don't bother...it's real wast of time and money.